Tuesday, April 24, 2012

One....Two...Stretcccchhhh..Threeeeeee..got it...

One..... see the ears...
I knew it was only a matter of time before she could not stand it and had to get the whatever she saw moving over the side of the ironing board.
Two - stretched so much, her toes are spread apart
Three....got it - claw ready to grab my bias binding that was dangling down - she got it too!!  This is a high ironing board - I tried to get her feet while they were dangling IN THE AIR but she let go too fast.
Now, some catching up...I have been remiss in postings lately - I have been embroidering towels, t-shirts - finishing up two quilts and working on the stained glass magnolia panel that will be THE one for THE quilt.   Frixion pens are awesome - draw the design on your square

Sew along the lines, then iron off!!  Pretty neat huh!! The pink thread worked out beautifully - I used different shades for the top and the bottom - I really like these two quilts.  Once I get them completely finished, I will put up photos of how they look.
I did both quilts at the same time because they were not really big - just lap size.  I was a little short on batting so when I finished quilting the first one, I unrolled it, cut off what I needed, roll it back up, butted the batting pieces together and wa-lah - problem solved!!  Note who is right in front of the machine... 
Also note who is right IN FRONT of the embroidery machine while I was trying to finish Gavin's towel - they are never far away.  Chewie has been napping a lot lately - he is tired from chasing chipmunks and birds and needs his beauty rest.
 My trusty thread catcher!!  
 Finally, got a towel finished without the drama of the machine jamming!!
 Got a t-shirt finished too!!
Got started on the girls' shirts
Making a stained glass Butterfly and Cone Flower wall hanging for my little sister and one for my big sister.  We lost our other sister to a sudden heart attack on Mother's Day '08 - she loved Butterflies and she loved purple - they will be in her memory.
I found another  use for my storm door - makes a great light box to trace the pattern onto the background fabric AND the fusible web - just go to the other side of the door - I learned an important lesson about mirror image when I drew out the first Magnolia panel...
First Butterfly panel in progress         

 Miss Nosey popped in to help - after she had a long drink of the distilled water I use in my iron (in the measuring cup)

The stained glass Magnolia Panel for the official quilt that will be raffled is finally finished.
The is the pin farm...I jokingly called it my pinterest - seriously -I really don't understand pinterest.

 Looking good!!
 Looking really good!!
 The last pin farm before I finally got finished

This is it - I think it looks pretty darn good for my first try!! This week, I will be cutting the surrounding pieces that will make up the rest of the quilt.  I do have to sew down the leading though - I think I am going to use clear thread.

Now - a few things you need to know about stained glass quilts.  They use small 1/8 to 1/4 size fusible bias binding which takes either a regular size iron - which is too big or a Clover Mini Iron II which is very handy and the perfect size.  Yes there is a BUT... when they tell you it gets hot - DO NOT TOUCH - they mean it.  And I mean if it falls - LET IT FALL - DO NOT TRY TO CATCH IT...that red plastic - it is for show - and I assure you, if you try to catch it, you WILL not grab the red plastic "cover".  My skin turned white and a week later, the blister popped and now I have yet another scar to tell great stories about!!   This was on MEDIUM!!
It's all better now though - I bought a nice stand to balance it on and so far so good but I do keep a safe distance from the tips.
In my next life, I am going to work for OSHA - if there is a way to get hurt - I'll find it!!



 I have so many things going on in my sewing room, I can barely move around!!  The two pink quilts are for my nieces - all I need to do is sew down the binding, put on the label and they are ready to go.  Still have 8 t-shirts to embroider though - time is quickly slipping away!!  152 days til Disney - 41 days til the beach AND 61 days to get the Magnolia quilt finished!!  Have to find time to work in between. 
Making time for my girl though - we gotta have our hour walk together each afternoon!!  It has turned cold this last couple of weeks though - can't wait for top down beach weather!!





No comments:

Post a Comment