Monday, April 30, 2012

Say it with me..you are a major DORK!!!

How to get rid of part and pieces of bobbins that are don't have a lot of thread left - I lined them up and as I ran out, just re-threaded the machine.


DORK...Why am I a DORK???
Well...sure enough, it has something to do with that despicable math..what else makes me a dork - ok, forget I asked that.


I called the company in Graham Tx that sold the Josephine's Knot quilt pattern I am making.  I explained to the lady that the pattern was all wrong and the instructions on cutting were way off because once I got it on my design wall, nothing was matching up.  She said oh my,  I have made many of these, what happened.  She asked if I cut it exactly as listed in the pattern.  I told her yes.  She started rattling off about seam allowances and this inch and that inch and started talking math speak and by then my brain was just a whirring.  Poor lady had to explain it three times  then....if y'all saw a flash in the sky today, it originated here as I came to the realization of what the problem was.   I got really quiet and she said - hello - hello - I was so embarassed and felt so stupid and told her as much.
HELLLLOOOO...the first row has two seams 1/4 each that = 1/2 inch worth of seams.
The second row has multiple seams that are 1/4 and so when sewn, the row will now match to the first row and so on.


We had a good laugh and I asked the lady if anyone else had called - she said they had but I think she was trying to make me feel better.


Now...I did insert the magnolia block and will attach the rows around it so it isn't the full blown knot pattern.  I chose this one because my mama's name is Josephine.  


I will need to lop off around 1 1/8 inch on the sides and about 2 inches on the ends to make the pieces join up properly.  Yea - yea - that is math too but I will measure several times before I make the final cut.  It will tone the brown down some - it pops out just a little too much.  Actually - I may take the brown off completely and put a soft blue.


This is the quilt will be raffled off at the Mississippi in the Park picnic in June.  Sure hope people like it.


Once it is finished, I am going to make another one -  hey - I have yet another - this is going to be my next quilt.. HA HA


I can just see me dragging my machine to the beach - which by the way is one month away and I still have 6 t-shirts to embroider.
I think I'm taking an extra day off in May.



No comments:

Post a Comment