Monday, November 21, 2011

Hidden Moons and I'm a dork...

The big day finally came.  Janice and I headed south to McDonough Ga for A Scarlet Thread - the most awesome, make you slobber like baby quilt shop around.  

We were there to pick out the fabric for her Hidden Moons quilt.  

Why am I a dork...I thought that they sold the batiks in packets like I get every month - well ok - they used to but since they were not selling well, they only cut enough for those of us in the Batik Club.  Fear not, Janice had a fabulous time picking out her fabrics and she has a great eye for color.  

We handed over our precious bolts of fabric to the cutting lady and watched as each of our choices were carefully cut.

After we were handed our fabulous fabric, all cut and nicely stacked, we wondered around the store.  There was a quilt hanging in the window that made me stop in my tracks - it was called Red Door - Janice talked me into getting it - yea - like I needed ANY arm twisting to buy a quilt pattern.    She also talked me into quilt Diva - that one is going on my door.  It is a pattern by Amy Bradley - she has some of the funniest patterns about us quilters.   

We got home, took our babies for a jaunt around the lake.  

After a brisk walk around the lake, it was time to start the process of cutting out the pieces for the quilt.

I laid out all of the fabrics, I counted out each row on the printout that I taped together THREE times so that I cut the right amount!!  I  am making this quilt into a king size - the original was 60x60 and anybody that knows me is well aware that I HATE math!!  Not a good thing for a quilter but I can draw crooked lines and have almost every size of acrylic ruler available - well except for the 7 inch - haven't gotten that one yet..

But, late into the evening, they were all cut but the last two mediums.  Had to get some sleep - not good to use rotary cutters and measure when tired.

Finished the last two today and they are all ready to go, bobbins are spun, machine threaded.  Hopefully I will have most of the pieces sewn and ready for cutting in half by tomorrow afternoon!!  






Button that came with the Quilt Diva pattern and scraps from cutting



First CUT!!





In progress

Cut and ready to pair together for sewing

Red Door Pattern - already digging for the perfect colors

I have some grey/black swirl fabric that is a perfect match for my hair!!

No comments:

Post a Comment