Saturday, February 4, 2012

I'm a cobbler - just like papaw...

My papaw was a train engineer in his younger days - well until he got half his foot cut off - always told us grandma chopped it off with an ax - we swore we could see his toes all wrapped  up in that stump he had at the end of his leg but hey - we were very gullible kids!!  He really got it caught between two rail cars and his train engineer days were over.  What I remember him as was a cobbler.  To this day, his tools and machines - yes sewing machines and all of those cool tools that make and repair shoes are all sitting in his shoeshop in Vicksburg Mississippi where my uncle took over the business years and  years ago.  Why am I going on and on about this??  Ray brought me his shoe and said Mom, can you sew this up?  I just love how kids know Moms can fix anything.  I looked it over and decided it was an easy task.  I got out my skinny sharp needle, threaded it and sewed his shoe right back together.   Other than the color of the thread  - I used black, it looks brand new!!  No Hakky visit for us today.  But I will admit I like going into Hakky's because it smells like my grandpa's shop.   
My new nameless quilt is on the design wall.  This layout didn't work for me.  I thought it looked a little weird and Janice thought it looked like sperm swimming around an egg and yep that's what I was thinking so it had to go.  Kinda looks like turds too.  Pink turds, but turds none the less.  I like that word turds, makes me laugh.  
I tried to turn the center circle to the outside but still didn't like it.   
I took all of the pieces off the wall and started over.
This one looks like MS PACMAN.  Was not really sure about it so...
I folded the squares in half and laid them out.  Came up with this which I liked so I drew a line down the middle and sewed them together then cut them apart.
This is what it looks like now and how it will go together.  I may put sashing between the rows.  Of course it was not to be that I could get 4 polka dots in each circle - besides liking paisley, I really like polka dots.

  Close up shot - I think I like the MS PACMAN better but it's too late...
 I had enough scraps left over to make 48 additional squares.  I will make this one into MS PACMAN...  The heart fabric in the background will be the sashing and borders.  
It is late and I must get some rest.  Getting some work done on the house tomorrow.  The deck gets ripped off the house Monday morning so the new one can go on and I told them the only thing that will be attached to it was the house..well..right now, there is a fence, lights/electrical wires AND a gas grill is still bolted to it along with the gas line so...gotta get up early and start getting everything taken off.  Well - I get to supervise, I'm not and electrician nor a plumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment