Monday, February 13, 2012

Ronnie's Roadies...

This is the other pink brown and white quilt top I've finished - I like how it turned out but may switch the borders before I quilt it - not sure I like how they turned out - I think the light pink would look better as the first border, then the pink hearts as the outside border and I could use a solid brown or pink for the binding - thoughts anyone??
My new project - a T-Shirt quilt - KING SIZE!!  A challenge for sure - I finally got them all cut out and I'm in the middle of ironing them to the fusible fabric that will prevent them from stretching - a few have been a challenge because they were the thinner material but once I got them ironed to the fusible, they were ok.
 First t-shirt getting cut - could not bear cut the shirts up to bits and pieces so I slipped my smaller cutting mat inside so I would only cut out what I needed from the shirt.  The other parts and pieces can be donated as scraps for rugs and having them in bigger scraps will make them easier to handle.
Ronnie's Roadies - I LOVE this shirt and was very careful cutting it because it is so AWESOME!!  Rick was assigned to Marine One at the White House in his USMC days - how COOL is that!!  I am going to try and make it the center piece of the quilt AND I have just the right sashing fabric strips for it.
 This is the fusible fabric I'm using - bought an unopened bolt - $75 (thank goodness for 50% off coupons!!) 15 yards total - so far, it looks like it is going to be enough
     
Getting the pieces cut and ready.         
All cut, sorted by size and ready to start fusing!
This is what they look like after I have ironed them to the fusible fabric.  Once I get them all done - I will go back and cut them apart, iron again to be sure they are attached and then start figuring out which one goes where.  I may not need sashing fabric for all of them.  We'll see.
   
 Another view of them all ironed together - I finally quit for the night - tired and have been on my feet most of the day. 
My baby is tired too - she is giving me that droppy eyed look.  It is tiring to watch me work...

The one mishap - I don't know whether to laugh or to cry...
This is the teflon sheet I use to keep the fusible from sticking to both the iron and the ironing board cover.  I was VERY careful (well I though) NOT to go anywhere near it with the scissors because....well you see why!!  I was ironing 2-4 t-shirts at a time and would cut them off as I went.  These dang things are expensive ($18!!) and I kept telling myself - be careful when you cut off ironed on shirts - be careful when you cut off ironed shirts. just damn...crap crap crap.  I got out the good old gift wrapping tape and put it back together - so far so good.  I'm still mad at myself though.
              
This is my new *someday* project.  I returned the winding ways and  kalidescope templates and book and got this.  It looks complicated but I think I can do it.  
        
Of course, for a small fee, they sell a companion template to help make the center and outer edges easier.  I am such a sucker for new templates - I should buy stock in all companies that make acrylic!!  Oh well - this designer is local - her kids went to our neighborhood schools and they are still only a few miles away in Chamblee and her stuff is all made in the USA!!  On a side note, the creator of this template wrote the book that I made my first *patterned* quilt from! 
And....wait there is more....they just happen to sell the stencil that has the quilting pattern so now....I can use my quilt pounce!
Hopefully I will get around to making the Dahlia this spring but.....I got an e-mail from the Mississippi Society of Georgia today.  I have so enjoyed volunteering this last couple of years that I was invited to join the planning committee.  Our meetings are starting for the yearly picnic and guess what I am going to do..yep...make a Mississippi Magnolia quilt to raffle  off! I am SO excited.  Guess I'd better get crackin' and find a pattern.  I'm planning to make the flower part applique.  Hopefully I will find just the right batik.  Whew!!  I need to retire so I can sew up all of this fabulous fabric I have.  But alas, I'd not have any money to buy new acrylic templates....

Still need to make Quilt Diva, the Red Door and Wicked...

1 comment:

  1. Jimmie I am so enjoying your blog, keep at it please because I am hoping to see Ronnie's Roadies finished.

    ReplyDelete