Saturday, February 18, 2012

On a dark and stormy Saturday...

I love stormy days - they are the best days ever.  They comfort me but also makes me sad because I miss my sister Sandra - she loved bad weather too and was a Weather Channel junkie.  She would call me from 400 miles away and let me know I needed to duck and run - there was a storm headed my way.  So...every day it storms I think of her and wish the phone would ring.  

I like the stormy days I spend in my sewing room - I sew a while and look out the window for a while.  

Today, I finished trimming the t-shirts and got them sorted by size.  

I think I have figured out how the place them.  I got out my trusty measuring tape and a bright pink sharpie.  I measured 110 inches down the wall (or across??)  and drew a line.  That is the top and bottom of the quilt.  Floor to ceiling is only 88 or so inches - numbers are small, could not see them ;-)

Sorry the photo is blurry but I had to stand on a swivel chair to get the full wall in the shot. 

It took a while but I got the blocks onto the wall - I'm sure some of them will be moved but at least now I have an idea.  I will need to use sashing.  I've decided to use black - it is the one color all of the blocks have in them.  Using multiple colors will make my head swim even more than it does now so one color is easier to work with.  Of course, that will mean the thread will most likely have to be black.  Probably will go with the gray, black and white varigated thread like I used on David's chemo-flauge quilt.  I think I have some of it left.  
I am going to turn all of the blocks a half turn counter clockwise to get them them going in the right direction and then comes the hard part - MATH!!  I need to figure out how to balance the sashing to make the different sizes of the blocks fit smoothly together.
 This is the center piece of the quilt - the only two blocks I have put together so far.  
I do have my next quilt planned - ok well - I'm always planning because there are SO many I want to make.  I have finally found a quilt that I can use the petal shapes that are left over when I cut out my circle quilts.  Isn't this pretty! 
Well - maybe after this one, I can make the Dahlia quilt...AGH - sew much fabric and not enough time...


No comments:

Post a Comment