Monday, January 2, 2012

would have been cheaper to buy one but not as much fun

Finished Rachel's quilt - got it delivered a few days after Christmas.  The binding is done in white on black polka dots
The label - yes - I know the letters are not the same size - another reason I hate math but hey - you can see the nice binding. 
What would have been cheaper to buy you ask.....
My new purse - bought this pattern when Janice and I went to Scarlet Thread because I like cross body bags - needless to say, it turned out NOTHING like the picture - who knows what happened - I followed the destructions...
I added brown braiding - it turned out quite nice and the colors matched perfectly and I have a custom made bag.

My bag..
The pattern... it was fun to make but instead of making me sew like a designer....Nancy made me eat chocolate and talk sailor speak...
Braiding after I basted it on
 I knew there was a presser foot that would allow me to get up to the edge - all I had to do was open the magic box...you know, the one labeled - JANOME PARTS...
I turned the edge under first - note the right side is done already.  I used brown rayon embroidery thread which is a nice contrast
Lining - I have two pieces of this paisley - one that is paisley all over and one sewn in rows - I love paisley, I love blue  and I LOVE blue and brown together so this was just perfect.  
hmmm - too long - 42 inches...
I did what any good sew-er (not sewer...) would do - I cut it in  half with the full intention of making some with the extra - I'm not saying how many inches extra but in a man's world it would be around 6
 Helps me figure out math problems
Putting in the magnetic closures - why do I have my arm stuck in it like that you ask...look at the bottom - I put the "top" one in first and squeezed it shut with pliers so I had to "go around" it to get to the bottom.
this is it, lining on the top - purse body on the bottom 
I could not let all of my  hard work go to waste so as I stood there deliberating on what to do, it hit me, just fold the bag up 3/4 of the way, sew down the sides, add another set of magnetic closures and wa la - a nice big outside pocket.
It came out really nice.  This photo is a little blurry but is shows the size.  Pefect cross body - next time - if there is one - I will put in an adjustable strap.
Becca Boo made this for me in 1995!!  Happier Days.  I sure miss that girl.

Injury Report for this project - No animals were hurt but I jabbed the seam ripper into the palm of my hand.  I guess writing SHARP on it with with a red Sharpie (HA HA) did not deter me.  The dumbest thing that happened was I ironed my thumb knuckle...

My next project - I love the colors - all that is missing is a margarita!!  It is batiks with a flannel backing.
This quilt will be for sale....the money is going for a VERY good cause.


I have no idea what she wants - I was sewing away and felt the "stare"...seriously - no cookies are even on the 2nd floor...








No comments:

Post a Comment