Saturday, March 17, 2012

Amazon Fairy and why I still hate math

The t-shirt quilt has been cut off the frame
 The binding has been cut, pieces sewn together and ironed
The binding has been pinned onto the quilt - that is a big heavy heap of quilt!!  Next step is to sew the binding on!! 
 The Amazon Fairy bought me a new book - curves of course - with a twist though - the patterns show how to sew bias binding (fabric is cut so it stretches) onto the circles for contrast - I want to do the cover quilt in blue.
The other package contains plastic tubes and covers that are officially sold as chip clips.  I was playing with a long arm machine at the sewing show and noticed them.  The lady selling the machine explained them to me and how they hold a quilt on to the leaders without pinning.  Of course I had to try them (yes - SUCKER is still tatooed onto my forehead).  Pinning the quilt to the frame is what I like the least about quilting and I tend to really rip my hands on them as I smooth the quilt down.  So....as I read the blogs, someone made mention that a company called Chip-n-Seal made them.  This lady talked about how they are held together with screws or dowels and gee - they were only $90 - wow what a deal....
Cheapo me went on a chip-n-seal hunt and found them on Amazon - package of 10 large 15 bucks - free shipping - no tax.  Made by the same company but they are white - not red as the ones the "other" company was selling.  They are about 12 inches long takes 8 from end to end, dowels are pennies at the big box home improvement store.  
 This is how they go on - I'm sure they will work great!!
Why I still hate math....Hellooooooo....there are THREE leaders - one for the top and bottom of the backing and one the quilt top!! 
I only bought ONE package....DUH.....Guess the big brown Amazon Fairy truck will stopping by again soon.  I'd rather spend $30 than $90 anyday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment