Sunday, March 11, 2012

Excuse me...no Excuse ME - JIMMIE!!! - KEITH!!!!

I was zeroing in on a booth at the Sewing Expo Saturday and as I stepped into it I bumped into someone.  I said - oh excuse me, they said excuse me too.  We both looked up and started laughing - JIMMIE.....KEITH....It was one of my quilting buddies!!  We have gone to the show a couple of times together.  I got to meet his friend Tina - who is now my new friend.  She was so excited to meet me, Keith had just told her he wished he had called me and wondered if I was at the show.  We spent the rest of the afternoon together.  Had a WONDERFUL time.  Tina is a new quilter and Keith and I had a great time showing her stuff.  Well, I had a great time telling her about all the useless crap I've bought and how I've learned a lot.  I even owned up to my fetish for acrylic rulers and how I have SUCKER tatooed on my forehead!!  I have been invited to Montana and believe me, the first chance I get, I'm headed to the wide open space of Montana.  You know my daddy changed my name from Jimmie Lynn to Jimmie Go because all I ever wanted to do was GO GO GO!!!   Alas, we didn't win anything - dammit.   I really wanted a new machine.  Notice I said want - not need.  Next time, I am going to hold my ticket until about an hour before the drawing and put it in.  Since I get there when the show opens, mine is usually buried at the bottom and I don't think the guy's arm is long enough to get there.
I did get some good stuff - 3 different sized needles for my Tin Lizzie, polyester clear thread for the t-shirt quilt, fat quarters for the magnolia quilt, applique embroidery alphabet, the laybryinth quilt pattern - the next one I want to make - gee aren't most of the quilts I'm going to make the "next" one!!


In hindsight - I should have gotten the 1 inch letters instead of the 4 inch...oh well.
 I really like this quilt - I am going to make it in a queen using batiks.
This is the quilt displayed in the booth where I bought the pattern.
Needles for my longarm quilting machine.  Three different sizes.  I put them with the other needles I had.  The batiks tend to dull needles quickly so I like to keep a good supply on hand.

I found some polyester clear thread.  It is made just for quilting.  The other crap I bought was nylon which stretched and broke!!  However, this was SEVEN dollars a spool!! OUCH - it had better work!!

Why are you leaving me....I can't even look at you...Tallulah was very unhappy when she realized that I was not taking her. 
 Entrance to the Expo - wall to wall stuff ready to ooohhh and aaaahhh over.
 This quilt turned out to belong to someone Keith knew - from NEW YORK!!  It is of all things x-ray images of the guy's cat.  He had them printed onto fabric and  made a memory quilt (his cat died).  I want to do this someday with Rebecca's Famous Fashion Girl drawings.  This was not a full blown quilt but just a block.
This is the Stained Glass Magnolia pattern I am going to make for the Mississippi Society of Georgia's Mississippi in the Park picnic in June.  Note - it has 81 pieces!  It is 16 x 29 inches in size.  I am going to make this the center piece of the quilt and have not decided yet what the rest will be.  Circles??  
This is the pattern drawn out on the foundation fabric.  I also had to draw it out on the fusible web.  I did two - one to practice on and one for the quilt.  The test one was drawn with different color highlighters.  The one on the left was drawn with a green highlighter.  This is the foundation fabric.  I was almost sure I had given all of my muslin away (I am really bad about giving stuff away) but alas, I opened one of my baskets and there it was - all nicely rolled up waiting to but cut and used.)
This is the fat quarter fabric I got for the quilt.  I have cut out all of the pieces - twice.  All but the background pieces are ironed on. I am still trying to decide if I want to use both sides of the peachy fabric.  It is batik and on the other side it has gold dots.  I will try using both sides in the dry run and make my decision then.
 This is the fabric right side up.
I have finished the quilt top for Rick and Cheryl's t-shirt quilt!!  It turned out really  nice.  Thought I'd take it out on my nice big new deck to take a picture.  I am going to put a skinny - maybe 1.5 inch border on the top and the bottom and let the sides stay with the black border.  Once the borders are on, I will measure, cut and sew the backing together.  Next stop will be rolling them both onto the frame.  I also get to try the new stippling template I just bought.  I am going to use the pounce (powered chalk) because....I learned my lesson with the "chalk in a can" on my Santa quilt last Christmas.  
 This is the back - it looks like a blank page!!
I hope to have it rolled onto the frame by tomorrow afternoon.  It will probably take the rest of the week to quilt it - should be finished by next Sunday if I work on it every evening. 


Time to hit the hay - I think somebody breathed on me at the Expo yesterday, I have felt awful all day.  Loving this time change though - more daylight in the evening after I get home.  


No comments:

Post a Comment